In 1930, the Madras Government alienated 390 acres of former Selaiyur reserve forest to the college, with the consent of the Government of India. As per the recommendations of the Lindsay Commission on Christian Higher Education, the Missionaries decided to establish Halls rather than hostels, which would function as semi-autonomous units. The Hall system, which was an innovation in India and which is modeled on the hoary institutions of Oxford and Cambridge, has been exceptionally valuable in promoting personal contacts.
The ‘first sod' of Tambaram was cut on 5th January 1932, commencing the construction of the new campus. Incidentally, among the Halls, Selaiyur Hall buildings were the first completed in 1937. Friday 29th January, 1937 heralded the beginning of the great journey at this good old Selaiyur Hall when a group of students, faculty and old students slept overnight in Selaiyur Hall. From very early days the attempt has been made to foster corporate life. Selaiyur Hall being the chief forerunner among the Halls, has always occupied pivotal position in the annals of the MCC corporate life.
The organization of the students' life within the Halls will require some sort of Democratic machinery, and in the election of the various committees and office bearers for this purpose a valuable training will be obtained in the duties and responsibilities of a citizen in a democratic state. In fact, in all its activities, the miniature fellowship of the Hall should prepare the student to take his place in the greater fellowship of the nation.
The seed of the mighty tree of democracy was planted way back in the year 1937 itself at Selaiyur Hall, which has spread its props and branches so mightily and vastly today, giving a broader perspective for appreciating the true spirit of Democracy.