- The Department of English is one of the oldest departments in the 180-year-old Madras Christian College.
- The Department of English (Shift II) was introduced in 1999 offering Part II English papers to students of all disciplines.
- The Department began to offer an undergraduate programme – BA English Language and Literature during the academic year 2014-2015 approved as equivalent to BA English offered by the University of Madras.
- The Department in 2017 has 11 Faculty members and 150 students.
- The Department of English (SFS) offers an Undergraduate Programme in English Language and Literature approved by the University of Madras.
- The syllabus offered by the Department is geared towards preparing students to do their post-graduation in any University across the world and also to offer them the opportunity of crossing into other disciplines either for further studies or professions.
- Specializations offered by the Department:
- Elements of Style
- Applied Stylistics
- Myth and Literature
- English Language Studies
- Philosophy and Literature
- Classical Indian Literature and Culture
- Optional papers offered are:
- Green Studies
- Women’s Writing
- Popular Culture
- Aesthetics and Artistic Movements
- The Students are required to do a 30-page project on any one of the optional papers.
Daniel J. David
Head of the Department
K. Samuel Moses Srinivas
M. LavanyaAssistant Professor N. N. Hemalatha
Eunice Catherine S
The Department of English has a literary association called The Literati with the moto Transcending Conventions.
This is a body which is democratically elected by the students with the Head of the Department as the President. Portfolios include General Secretary, Literary and Debating secretary, cultural convener, Sports convener, Finance convener, Amenities convener etc.
The Department also has a Prayer secretary and the Prayer Cell meets ones every week.
The association conducts an Intra-Collegiate Literary and Debating competition called Woodstock.