The department of Physics was established in 1937, and it started offering M.Sc course in 1958, Ph.D in 1977 and M.Phil in 1980. The department has sent forth a large number of leaders in whatever field they chose to excel in. The University courses of B.Sc., M.Sc., and M.Phil are offered by the department under autonomy and in the CBCS pattern.
With a balance of youth and experience on the faculty, special optional papers on Material Science, Biophysics, Electronic Instrumentation, Nuclear Reactor Physics, Crystal Physics and Embedded Systems are offered in the various courses to suit the current trends in 6 academic and employment opportunities. Students are encouraged to gain a research experience in the postgraduate courses.The Department has a well stocked library and a well equipped library.
Programmes Offered: B.Sc., M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D
RECENT NEWS AND EVENTS
- Professor E.C.G Sudarshan visited the department and delivered a lecture on "Beyond the light barrier". more
- Physics alumni met on 18 December, 2010 at Madras Christian College.
- Dr. C. S. Sunder, Head of Material Science Division, IGCAR, Kalpakkam, delivered the C. V. Raman Lecture sponsored by DAE, Govt. of India.
- Dr. Mark Harbold, Elmhurst College, Chicago, USA gave a lecture on 'Music and the Physics of Sound' in November 2009.
- The department organized a one-day seminar on 'Vistas in Physics Research'. The event was sponsored by the UGC and the Tamil Nadu State Council for Science and Technology.