- To meet the present day challenges in Society through an interdisciplinary and application oriented course.
- To teach and conduct research in marine sciences with emphasis on basic biology, conservation, management and sustainable aquaculture.
- To develop management and conservation models with emphasis on coastal ecosystems such as coral reefs, sea grasses, mangroves, fishes and iliotrophic communities.
- To link marine sciences with human welfare.
- To promote environmental stewardship among youth.
- To evolve effective methods of utilization of marine and coastal resources of India and Asia as a whole.
The study provides scope for development of both the theoretical knowledge and practical application that can be achieved successfully through a blend of classroom activities and field experiences. The subject provides unique and highly motivational learning experiences, many of which are directly related to vocational areas. It can provide opportunities to work and enhance employment potential in related industries and to establish a basis for further avenues.
- To develop an awareness of the sea and coastal zone for present and future generations.
- To appreciate and respect the culturally diverse attitudes of different coastal communities.
- To acquire knowledge, understanding and skill applicable to the marine environment for safe, intelligent use and judicious utilization viz recreation, vocation coupled with innovative research and further study.
- To solve problems relevant to marine environment by the coastal communities.
- To access, organize and analyse information on marine environment for effective planning and execution.
- To access and interpret policies which affect the marine environment.
DURATION OF THE COURSE
4 semesters with a total of 90 credits.