Dr. M. Baluswami Joined the Department of Botany as a faculty member in February 1988. He graduated from Arignar Anna Government Arts College, Namakkal in 1980. From 1981-86, he was a Research Fellow in a DST sponsored project on ‘Algal Flora of India' under the supervision of Prof. T.V. Desikachary and worked on marine algae of Indian coasts including Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Dr. Baluswami is specialized in marine algae in general and systematics of the members of the Phaeophyceae in particular. He was awarded Ph.D by University of Madras in 1987. Dr. Baluswami teaches Algology at U.G. and P.G. level since February, 1988.
- 17 papers in reputed journals and 3 in proceedings of National Seminars covering the systematics of both freshwater and marine algae.
- Described several new species of algae and reported the occurrence of several freshwater and marine algae in India for the first time.
- Developed a database on Algal Flora of Tamil Nadu for the ENVIS node of Department of Environment, Government of Tamil Nadu hosted on the Web.
- Currently interested in the documentation of freshwater algae of Tamil Nadu and utilization of both fresh water and marine algae.
- Guided 10 M. Phil. and 2 Ph.D. candidates.
- Resource person in the field of algal diversity and delivered lectures in Universities and seminars organized by the Seaweed Research and Utilization Association of India.
- Organizing secretary of a National Seminar on ‘Plant Diversity in India: Current Status and Conservation organized by the Department of Botany, Madras Christian College, January, 2005.
- Founder treasurer of Krishnamurthy Institute of Algology from 1991 to 1993 and continue to serve as an active associate of the Institute since 1991.
- Honorary Treasurer of Limnological Society of India and a member of Governing Council of Krishnamurthy Institute of Algology.