• PDF

Chaplains of the Church of Scotland in Madras, Rev. George James Laurie and Rev. Matthew Bowie start a School (St. Andrew's), on the corner of Randalls Road in Egmore. Soon they request Church of Scotland to send a missionary to run it.


The General Assembly's school opened by Rev. John Anderson in a rented house on the east side of Armenian Street, with the Headmaster and 59 boys from St. Andrew's School forming the core. The stated objective was to "convey as great an amount of truth as possible through the channel of a good education especially of Bible truth."


The School moved to Errabauloo Chetty Street with an enrolment of 270 pupils.1839 The first branch School opened in Conjeevaram (Today it is Anderson School), and two others added in Nellore and Chingleput (St. Columba School) the following year.


Anderson starts the periodical The Native Herald.


The first branch school for Girls started under the care of the Braidwoods in Royapooram (the Northwick School).1841 A branch school for the benefit of Mahommedans opened in Triplicane.


The split in the Church of Scotland resulted in the school coming under the management of the Free Church of Scotland and come to known as the "Central Institution".


Miss. Margaret Locher, a Swiss lady arrives in Madras to promote female education, becomes an agent of Free Church; marries Rev. John Anderson in 1847.


School moves to the Esplanade (A sailors home purchased at 25,000 rupees).


Rev. John Anderson dies on 25 March in Madras and buried in the Old London Mission Cemetery, Thana Street. , Puruswalkam.


Anderson Church was constructed, and Rev. P. Rajagopaul, the first convert of Anderson becomes the first Minister of the Church (Presently this is the only building of the Institution still remaining in Parrys corner opposite High Court buildings).


Rev. J. Braidwood documents the 25 years of history of the Institution through his book,  True Yoke Fellows in the Mission Field: The Life and Labours of Rev. John Anderson and Rev. Robert Johnston, published in London.


Rev. William Miller arrives in Madras to take over the depleting school. He was 24 years old.1864 First college class was formed, studying for the First Examination in Arts (FA) of the University.


Junior B.A. Class was formed, thereby making the Institution a First Grade College.


The "Central Institution" becomes the Madras Christian College with the support of some mission bodies in Madras. Madras Debating Society, the oldest student society, takes permanent shape. The Literary Society also founded the same year.


A hostel first of its kind in south India started by Dr. William Miller for the Vaishnavite Brahmins; Soon other hostels built: for Indian Christians (1888); for non-Brahmins (1895); for non-Brahmins from rural areas (1902); for the Vaisya (Chetty) communty (1902), Rungiah Chetty Hostel (1911) and a non-sectarain Cosmopolitan hostel (1919).1882 The College Prayer Union founded; the College Cricket Club organized.


The first issue of the Christian College Magazine published featuring scholarly articles contributed by Professors, past and present students, and learned public in South India.


Physical training classes held after obtaining grounds.


College buildings expanded stretching to the other end of the Road during 1883-1987.1887 Madras Christian College incorporated as a non-profit limited company under the Indian Companies Act of 1882.


Philosophy Association and the History Students Union founded.1888 The office of the Bursar created and Rev Cooper becomes the first one (part time).


Dravida Bhashabivirthi Sangam and Andhra Bhashabhiranjini Sanghamu founded.


First Annual College Day held. The College Day Association formed by graduates. MCC Calendar first published and released on the first College Day.


Miller becomes the member of the Madras Legislative Council in 1893, and again in 1895, 1899 and 1902.


Miller becomes the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Free Church of Scotland, the highest honour accorded in the Church.


William Miller appointed Vice Chancellor of the University of Madras, and a Bronze statue erected in his honor (presently found in the MCC HSS premises in Chetput).


Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan does his B.A. and M.A. courses in the Department of Mental and Moral Sciences during 1904-1908.


Miller finally departs from India due to ill health.1908The College Brotherhood Society formed.


William Skinner who was Acting Principal for two years becomes the Principal.


College Athletics Association formed.


During 1911-1913 the College introduced new Honours Courses: History and English (1911), Zoology (1912), Mathematics and Philosophy (1913).


Mahatma Gandhi visits the College and chairs a joint debate session organized by the MCC associated societies.


James Bangaru Raju becomes the first Indian Professor in the Department of Philosophy followed by Dr. D. W. Devanesen (father of Chandran Devanesen) in Zoology.


A Senatus Committee suggested the College consider a new location, thus marking the beginning of the long process of the "removal" to Tambaram.


Rev. Earle Montieth Macphail, Professor of History appointed Principal.


The University Training Corps (precursor) to National Cadet Corps (NSS) started, and MCC formed a large unit.1923Rev. William Meston appointed Principal.


William Miller dies in Edinburgh. He served 45 years as active Principal, and another 16 years as Honorary Principal.


O. Kandaswami Chetty narrates the life and witness of Miller in MCCM, later published by the CLS, Madras.


Rev. Alfred George Hogg appointed Principal.


Madras Government alienates 390 acres of former Selaiyur reserve forest to the College, with the consent of the Government of India.


Lindsay Commission report recommends the establishment of Halls and merger of Bishop Heber College Trichinopoly with MCC at Tambaram.


Mrs. & Dr. Edward Barnes (Chemistry) start living in the Tambaram site in the only completed building (the present Barnes Villa, adjacent to the Sports Fields).


The Maternity and Child Welfare Centre started by Mrs. Barnes (first hospital of its kind in Tambaram), and as its extension Unit the Oxfam School in 1961.


Madras Christian College celebrates its 100 years of existence. New College buildings officially opened at Tambaram on 30 January by Lord Erskine, the Governor. Miller statue donated by Venkatarama Iyer was unveiled in the premises.


The International Missionary Council held its conference in the newly finished Anderson Hall at Tambaram. More than 400 delegates from all over the world participate.1938 Rev. Alexander John Boyd becomes the new Principal.


Women admitted to the college as regular students for the first time. The Rural Service league (RSL) was formed to support development work in villages nearby.


Old Boys' Cricket match instituted.


Women's Hostel in Guindy opened.


Rev. Dr. James Russell Macphail becomes the last of the Scottish Principals of the College.


Intermediate course abolished. The new system included 1 year of Pre-University followed by 3 year degree course.


Double Jubilee celebrated: 125 years of the College, 25 years in Tambaram. Dr. Chandran D. S. Devanesen becomes the first Indian Principal. Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan visits the College as the Vice-President of India in March, and again addresses the Alumni Association meeting held in MCC School in September, as the President of India.


Miller Memorial Library celebrates its centenary. Madras Christian College Day Association renamed the MCC Alumni Association. Farm project was launched.


Student Records Office opened to handle the increasing paper work and statistics of students.


Mr. C. A. Abraham retires as Physical Director after 37 years of service. Mr. K. C. David takes over.


Political Science & Public Administration separated from History to become an independent department.


A. L. Mudaliar Athletic Championship was begun. MCC was the first champion. Student Guidance Centre opened.


Women's Hostel moves to Tambaram from Guindy.


Department of Tamil formed separately from Languages.


Department of Statistics separated from Mathematics.


Prof. Bennett Albert appointed Principal.


Dr. M. Abel appointed Principal.


Autonomy was granted, launching the College into a new era of academics.


"Deep Woods" begun as an inter-collegiate cultural festival.


Dr. Mithra G. Augustine becomes the Principal of MCC.


School of Continuing Education started. The new Miller Memorial Library and the new Botany block completed.


Public Administration split from the Politics Department to form a separate PG department. Kibble Computer Centre opened.


Centre for Women's Studies opened.


150th Year Celebrations organized with Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi as Guest of Honour, declares open the Miller Memorial Library.


Dr. Francis Soundararaj takes over as Principal. M.A. Social Work started.


Centenary celebration of the Alumni Association.


The first Self Financed Course (Master of Computer Applications) opened. Introduction of vocational Courses in History, Commerce and Zoology. Dr. M. Gladstone takes over as Principal.


Dr. Alexander Mantramurti takes over as Principal. Opening of the Self-financed Evening College Program.


Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) introduced at PG level in Aided Stream stream, and at UG and PG levels in the self-financed stream.


College awarded A+ grade by NAAC. CBCS extended at UG level in day stream.


Dr. V. J. Philip takes over as the Principal.


Office for International Programs created few more class rooms built for the Self-financed stream.


Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, President of India visits the College on 23rd February, on the occasion of the 170 year celebrations (2006-07), also delivers the Convocation address.


Institute for Advanced Christian Studies revived and a Diploma Course in Christian Studies started.


 Dr. R.W. Alexander Jesudasan takes over as the Principal of the College

2010  The second Women’s Hall was inaugurated. It was named Margaret Hall, in memory of the wife of our founder Rev. John Anderson, Margaret Locher
2012  The Quartoseptcentennial (175th year) celebrations began on 7th January 2012 with a thanksgiving service in the college lawns, and a heritage exhibition in the Examination Hall
2012  The Centre for Peace Studies was inaugurated in February 2012, with a generous funding of the United Board.
2012  The Founders Day was observed on 3rd April with thanksgiving services in Anderson Hall and in Egmore Kirk, in whose compound the School was originally founded in 1835. The faculty and students also visit the London Mission Cemetery to commemorate the lives of Rev. John Anderson and his wife Margaret Locher, who lay buried there.
2012  A National Conference on Higher Education was organized.
2012  A valedictory worship service was held in December 2012, in which the Moderator of the Church of South India and the Vice-Chancellor of the Liverpool Hope University participate
2013  A global Alumni Meet was organized in July 2013, in which more than 2000 Alumni from around the world participate
2013 The Valedictory function of the 175th year celebrations take place on 13th November 2013 in which the Vice President of India Hon’ble Shri Hamid Ansari, Honble Deputy Chairman, Prof P.J. Kurian and the Governor of Tamil Nadu, Dr. K. Rosiah participated
2013  The 75th year of the historic Tambaram International Missionary Council Meeting was celebrated in December 2013 with a Conference on the contemporary challenges to Mission. The World Council of Churches, the National Council of Churches in India (NCCI), and the Church of South India Synod collaborate with MCC .
2014 The newly built Commerce Block was dedicated. Foundation stones for Indoor Sports Stadium and the third Women’s Hall were laid.
You are here: Milestones