Madras Christian College has entered into the 178th year of glorious service to the Nation. Founded as a School in 1837 in the black town of Madras, the Institution was built and its character shaped by a host of Scottish missionaries such as Anderson and Miller, Hogg and Boyd. Many dedicated Indian teachers as well as generations of brilliant students contribute to its success story. Leaving their legacy behind are a galaxy of illustrious alumni like President Radhakrishnan. Such was the stature of the Institution that Gandhi (not yet Mahatma) chaired a student session in the college premises in George Town in 1916, while Billy Graham spoke in the famous Anderson Hall in Tambaram in 1956. Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam former President of India participated in the 170th year celebrations in 2007, while the Vice President Dr. Hamid Ansari took part in the 175th year valedictory function.
The College is known as much for its academic standing and leadership building as it is for social commitment. Besides, the unseen touch of the Almighty has always been felt and spoken of by generations of students and teachers.
Today the College has more than7000 students (both ladies and gentlemen as they are traditionally called) and over 220 faculty members serving in 33 departments of both aided and self-financed streams. It is a matter of pride that the institution is ranked among the Top Ten Liberal Arts and Science Colleges in India. The Institution received the Rating of A+ (equivalent to 90-95%) by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in its first accreditation in 2003, and is reaccredited with the highest rating of A grade in 2013. The 365 acre salubrious, idyllic campus with its rare, diverse flora and fauna is a great joy to live in.