The College Library was founded in the college in 1863, just a year after Miller arrived. This facility was upgraded as a Consulting Library in 1869, containing dictionaries, atlases, commentaries and books of Reference of every branch of knowledge. This was open for the students of the college for one hour before the commencement and two hours after the college was closed. In 1870 about 200 students had free access to the General Library, and over a thousand books were borrowed in a year. It was so efficiently managed that not a single volume was found missing. In 1871, Mrs Margaret Gunn of Latheron, Scotland endowed the Library with a sum of 1000 Pounds in memory of her husband Donald Gunn who died in 1869. The interest of this sum was made available for the maintenance of the Library. The Hunter Commission on Education in 1882 gave a high commendation to the richness of the Library, along with that of the Presidency College.
The system of Class Libraries was introduced in 1886, pertaining to the departments of Mathematics, Physical Science, Natural Science, Mental and Moral Science. There were more than 100 volumes in each of these class libraries. Miller himself had a fine library for himself which he subsequently donated to the college. A consulting Library was also started with a gift of books from Messrs Blackie & Co., Special class libraries were also started, along with an exclusive one for MA students. Interestingly, Professors acted as Librarians in turn. Professor Laidlaw as the Librarian in 1892 printed the catalogue; Professor Kellett in the following year procured several volumes as gifts from prestigious publication houses and individuals, which included the Cambridge University Press, the Clarendon Press; Professor Max Muller himself donated a splendid new edition of his commentary of Rg. Veda.
A Reading room where more magazines and periodicals were placed, was opened in 1896. For the first time a full-time official—the Assistant Librarian—P.Rama Aiyar was appointed in 1904. The Library for the Institution’s school was bifurcated with 800 volumes in the year 1909, as until then the Library was also used by the school students of higher classes. After the introduction of the Honours courses in 1911, there were many significant changes, one of which was opening the Library during night times between 7 and 9 pm. The College Hall was fitted with electric lights and fans for this purpose, even as most students of the college did not enjoy such a luxury. The Library facilities gradually increased thereafter, and by 1920 there were more than 7200 volumes stacked in the General Library.
When the college was relocated to Tambaram campus, the first building to be inaugurated by the Governor Lord Erskine, on January 30, 1937, was the Miller Memorial Library. The very fact that it was named after the illustrious Principal kindled generous response in scores of alumni to contribute to the building fund. The next 50 years it was located in the present Examination Hall, with its first floor being used as a Reference section.
The Miller Memorial Library celebrated its Centenary in December 1963, with S.R. Ranganathan, an alumnus and the father of Library movement in India, participating as chief guest.G.S.Theophilus served as the first Librarian in Tambaram (1937-55), followed by Baktamitran, Mrs.Kasthuri Guruswami, and V.C.S, Rajappa, Dr.P.Yesudoss (2012-Till date)
The Library on Tambaram Campus
William Miller (1838-1923) Prime Minister Shri Rajiv Gandhi (27th March 1987)
Prime Minister Shri Rajiv Gandhi inaugurates the new buildings
On the occasion of the 150 years celebrations, the Miller Memorial Library was inaugurated in the present premises by the then Prime Minister Shri Rajiv Gandhi on March 27, 1987.The Prime Minister was gracious enough to have a discussion in the newly – built Hall.
Total carpet area of the central Library 24,000 (in sq.ft)
The Librarian’s Office
Digital Library Section
Staff Internet Browsing Section
Project / Thesis Section
Reading Hall I
Group Study Discussion Room
Question Paper Section
Journal Back Volume Section
Reading Hall II
Reading Hall III
Reading Hall IV
Reading Hall V
Reading Hall VI
Seating Capacity: 600
Monday to Saturday - 08.00 a.m. To 7.00 p.m.
Non-Working Saturdays - 08.00 a.m. To 01 p.m.
Transaction Hours (Counter Timings)
Returning of Books: 09.30 a.m. To 06 p.m.
Issuing of Books: 09.30 a.m. To 06 p.m.
The Library will remain closed on
Sundays and other notified holidays
Holding of the Library ( as on 28.10 .2017)
Library Statistical Board Print Resources Total no.of Books 1,81,027 Back Volumes 8,500 Ph.D - Theses 106 Student Projects 7,500 Periodicals Journals(printed) 140 News Papers 18 Special Collections Rare Books 973 Book Bank 2,500 Braille Books 4468 Competitive examination 355 Electronic Resources (e-Books/ Journals) INFLIBNET(N-List) 31,35,809 Questia 95,443 E-journals from Databases EBSCO 1,791 INFLIBNET(N-List) 6,237 CD/DVD 377 NPTEL videos 6,000+
The College runs a Book Bank for the benefit of poor students. Standard textbooks and other reference books which the poor students cannot afford to buy for themselves will be made available to them in the Book Bank. Poor students are invited to make good use of them. Books lent under this scheme must be returned not later than fifteen days before the commencement of the University Examinations for the class concerned. Those who lose the books lent or return them damaged will have to pay the cost of the books. The lending of books will be subject to the availability of copies and no student can borrow more than two books at a time. The prescribed application form must be filled in and submitted with the recommendation of the Head of the Department before the books are issued.
Access to the Library Collections
Library Access Through
Access to the library collection
INFLIBNET (Consortia )
Federated Searching Tools
In-House /Remote access to e-publications
The College Library is partially automated. PALPAP software has been installed with the following five main modules of the library in-house operations.
- Acquisition System
- Cataloguing System
- Circulation System
- Serials Control System
- OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue)
- Gate Entry Monitoring System
For the purpose of Library Automation, Fifteen computers have been brought under LAN (Local Area Network) with the Linux Server Operating System.
ICT Facilities in the Library:
Total numbers of Computers for Public access
Total numbers of Printers for Public access
Internet bandwidth speed
100 Mbps- Sharing
Content Management System for e-learning
1.Staff .Video Lectures
Participation in Resource sharing networks
RULES & REGULATION
- Perfect silence should be maintained in the Library.
- Students of the U.G. Programmes will be given will be given 2 Library tickets and those of the P.G. Programmes 3 tickets each. The U.G. Students will be issued 2 Books each P.G. Students 3 Books each at a time. 3 tickets will be issued for M.Phil/Ph.D students.
- Students can keep the books for two weeks at a time.
- The Books should be returned on or before the due date, which is marked on the first page of the books issued.
- A file of 1.00 rupee will be imposed per day for late returning of books.
- Books will be issued only against the production of library tickets and the
- The loss of Library Tickets should be brought to the notice of the Librarian in writing immediately. A fine of Rs.100/- will be charged per card lost.
- The Library will be closed on Sundays and during the Government holidays.
- Students should make good any loss of or damage to the Library books, magazines or Library property.
- Reference books, magazines, journals and dailies cannot be taken out the Library and should not be removed from the places.
- The Library will remain open from 8.30 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.
- No member is allowed to pass on the Library books to anyone in or outside the college. He/She will do so under pain of fine or of suspension of membership of the Library.
- Students or staff who leave the college for any reason in the middle of the term should return the books before they leave the college.
- Writing or underlining in a book or tampering with a book in any manner is strictly prohibited.
- Research Scholars are invited to make use of the Research carrels available in the Library.
- Reference Service
- OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue)
- NPTEL Services
- Audio-Visual facility
- Open Access System
- Model Question Papers for Reference
- Air-conditioned Browsing Section
- Digital Library Unit
- Internet and Wi-Fi Facilities
- Group Study & Discussion Room
- Television Channels (News & Knowledge)
- Braille Collections
- Research Carrels
- Download and Printout
- Display New arrivals /Bibliography Compilation
- User Orientation
- Assistance in searching Databases
- Documentary show
- INFLIBNET Service.
- British Council Library (BCL), Chennai
- American Library, Chennai
- The documents in the Library are arranged according to the Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) 20th Edition
Madras Christian College Archives and Special Collections
Madras Christian College Archives is a unique and special entity of the College. It is a repository of rare books and a treasure mine for inquisitive researchers. The idea of archives for the College was conceived by Principal Dr. Chandran D.S. Devanesan in 1960s. Dr. Mithra G. Augustine (1981-88) was instrumental in commissioning and earmarking the Archives as a special unit under the supervision of an archivist when the Miller Memorial Library was shifted to the new premises in 1982. The Archives collection has approximately 3500 books. The collection includes the complete set of Madras Christian College Magazine, MCC annual Calendars, Government reports and Gazetteers, journals and books related to the history of Chennai, South India and a wide range of rare books covering history, politics, archaeology, numismatics, education, economics, literature, religion, art and architecture, Christian missions, Natural science, travelogues and memoirs. A complete digitalization of the manuscripts of the College records and College magazines are also available. The special collections include the memorable of the founders and some old gadgets like century-old typewriters, tube light and calculator. The photographic collection is a unique one and the oldest dates back to as early as the time photography reached India. The Archives has approximately 1500 photographs of different sizes, which include a group of prints of missionaries, early Tamil Christians and officers in Madras taken in the 19th century.
The Archives primarily serves the College community. The Researcher, Government officials, alumni and faculty past and present use this facility for research on various fields. The service of the archives is provided for a payment of a nominal fee.