Madras Christian College (Autonomous)
Value Education - II
(2015 – 2016 onwards)
Semester: 2 No. of hours: 30
Objectives: (i) The course aims at providing a wholesome understanding of the biblical perspective of the Christian faith.
(ii) It also equips the student to relate one’s faith to the contemporary world.
Introduction to the Bible.
Three types of books – Biographical, Epistolary and Apocalyptic; Names of God; Life and teachings of John the Baptist
Life and Ministry of Jesus Christ
Birth and Childhood; Prophecies related to the Birth of Christ; Healing and Teaching ministry; Suffering, death, Resurrection and Ascension
Origin and Development of the Church and role of the Holy Spirit
Day of Pentecost; Characteristics of the Early Church; Jerusalem Council; Functions of the Holy Spirit; Gifts and Fruit of the Holy Spirit
Life and Ministry of Paul
Conversion of Paul; Missionary Journeys.
Major themes in the Epistles and Revelation
Victorious Christian Living; Faith and Deeds; Superiority of Jesus Christ (Hebrews); Lessons for the contemporary church from the message to the seven churches
Books for Reference :
- The New Testament – A Reader’s Guide – C. A. Alington; G.Bell& Sons, 1949, London
- A critical introduction to the New Testament –Arthur S. Peake; Duckworth; 1914, London
- The story of the New Testament – Edgar J. Goodspeed; University of Chicago Press, 1916; Chicago
- A Guide to the Gospels – W. Graham Scroggie; Harper Collins; New Zealand, 1985
- The New Testament Prophets – David Hill; Alba House, 1983; ISBN No.978-0818904561